The life and times of the younger, lesser spotted chicken.

Monday, August 22, 2005

XMMS2 and Euphoria

I am currently trying to get XMMS2 to build on my Gentoo box. For those who don't know, XMMS is the Winamp of Linux, and XMMS2 is a very unstable, under development port which attempts to emulate the skins of Winamp5. They currently can't use official Winamp5 skins but have released some pretty kief skins which make XMMS2 look very similar.

I'm keen on having an XMMS which isn't a standard "Winamp2" rectangle. I want something that is "morphable" or ... neater. Something which can fit into the corners of my desktop and look as snug as my e17 installation. I haven't blogged about it yet, but I am currently using enlightenment DR17 as my window manager in Gentoo. It's incredible. It's all in CVS at the moment, so no official releases have been made, but what I have running at the moment is just the ultimate eye-candy. Check out these screenshots of my desktop: [1] [2]

It wasn't easy, and DR17 is currently still very buggy, which made customizing and fiddling very difficult with many a segfault and unhandled exceptions. Either way, I got it running, and now I'm pretty stoked with it. The only short coming I've found so far is it's incompatibility with my for some reason. MPlayer seems to halt e17 and force you to back out of X and then restart it before you can do anything again. I've been looking around the net but can't seem to find anybody experiencing the same problem. It's tough finding any help because of how developmental e17 is. I'm sure it isn't something too serious, but for now I will just use Xine for videos.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Kyle,

I am just trying to get Euphoria up on my gentoo system but didnĀ“t found an ebuild eiterh the source code.

How did you build it?

Greets, orange_country

1:04 am

 
Blogger Kyle Whittington said...

Hey orange_country... That post was over 2 years ago, and it wasn't referencing the actual "Euphoria" software... Sorry about that, can't really be of any help.

Kyle

10:52 am

 

Post a Comment

<< Home